Thursday, February 14, 2008

Crewson Reunion 2007



It was such an enjoyable experience meeting all the members of the Crewson clan at the reunion August 15. (Click for Full Size Show!) After researching the project and photographing the farm over a period of two years, it has been a highlight to finally meet the people who are related to such a resilient and incredible family.

Here, you will see photos of the barn, house, and the tombstone of Morgan Crewson, located at Everton Cemetery. Historical photos are courtesy of Carole and Wilma Tyrer - one of their nicest treasures is the old Crewson bible, which includes Morgan Crewson’s signature taken from a marriage certificate supplied by Carole.

There are also photos of pottery shards that I collected several months after a visit I had with Carole at the farm. The ground had just been graded and I walked around collecting what I could find. It is indeed fascinating looking at the pottery, all fragments of tea sets and dishes your ancesters ate from, including some gorgeous flow blue china.

About a month ago, I went inside the house and walked around looking for more items of interest. I discovered some wallpaper fragments still adhered to the inside of the window frames on the northeast corner and these I carefully removed. One was a very striking dark red paper and the other was a very faded pine tree motif. I imagine that the very resourceful Crewsons probably made up their own paint!

I have also included a file of three stories I wrote for various publications, including Sideroads Magazine. Although I prize accuracy very highly, my main aim always when writing these historically based stories is to excite people about their own heritage and to preserve as much as they can for future generations.

Your friend,
Sandra Traversy

No comments: